Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Confession: Too much noise drives me insane!!!

 SHUT UP!!!


Okay, I know this is a jacked up heading but lets face it, we all have something that just really drives us crazy. For me.... it's noise, hands down  my biggest trigger for losing it!

Noise has always been hard for me, mostly because I have such a hard time focuing my thoughts without noise, then you add noise and that's it, I'm done.

Now that I only have one working ear it seems that noise is even more aggravating. It's like I can't filter anything, or tune it out. It just blares in my ear and no matter how hard I try, I can't focus on just one sound...

Music, however doesn't bother me... I love music, I have it playing in the house a good portion of the day, it calms me, unless I'm trying to have a conversation and then I just have to turn it off.

Right now, my son is playing playdoh and making some crazy noises and singing, my one daughter is singing/screaming and twirling around in a princess dress, and my other daughter is slamming a tambourine on the ground and yelling/laughing.. and I don't have any music playing right at this moment.

NOISE!!! It's just a bunch of awful noise that won't let me focus on anything I planned on doing... How many times have I said, "shhhh mommy needs you to just be quiet" or " just go upstairs, or go downstairs"?

Until I stop trying to finish my "to do list" and am just still. Until I settle myself and focus on the music. (No, not the music in my head, I'm not that crazy) How could I have missed this, how did I not hear this before????

It's not noise, it's music... their sweet voices, their joy, their imagination, their peace, their laughter....

How beautiful it sounds, what a gift to be able to hear them, and see them and hold them. How many times have I taken for granted the "noise" my kids make? How often have I stolen their joy so I can have a moment of "peace"?

This is my confession today, I get so caught up in my day to day "stuff" that I forget to stop and listen to the music. Whether it be the sound of passing cars, the waves crashing at the beach, the birds outside my window that start at 4 a.m. daily, the hum of people talking when I'm out, or the amazingly precious song that my children sing daily.

What have you been missing out on by allowing those "things" that drive you crazy, control your day?

I don't want to let the "noise" control my day, from now I on I will do my best to hear the music....

2 comments:

  1. one of my daughters likes to whistle - and she is good. After a while, whatever show tune she is gracing us with, doesn't sound like music anymore. I'd like to think it is her, couldn't be me. Anyway, you all know how this story ends. I need to have more grace for my musicians! Julie, thanks.

    ReplyDelete